Press Release: The SD Tech Fund™
SDTC Announces Call for Applications
for Clean Technology Funding
Ottawa, Ontario, September 5, 2012 – Canada is a global leader in developing clean technologies. To maintain this momentum, SDTC announced today it will be accepting applications for funding from entrepreneurs from September 5 to October 24th, 2012.
“In every corner of this country, some of Canada’s brightest minds are developing technology that brings together economic prosperity and environmental responsibility,” said SDTC President and CEO Vicky Sharpe. “We want to work with these entrepreneurs to help bring their projects to commercialization. These clean technologies are the key to Canada’s future growth and prosperity.”
SDTC is a not-for-profit corporation created and funded by the Government of Canada to finance and support the late-stage development and pre-commercial demonstration of clean technologies. Through its SD Tech Fund™, SDTC helps companies through the critical juncture when capital and scaling costs become challenges and the risk profile deters other investors.
SDTC supports technologies that address the challenges of Climate Change, Clean Air, Soil and Water, including technology solutions focused on these current priority areas:
· Natural Resources: Mitigate environmental impacts associated with Canada’s natural resource sector including “green mining”, cleaner fossil fuels and forestry.
· Clean Energy: Enable cleaner energy production, including natural gas, and improved energy efficiency of transportation, the built environment and industrial processes.
· Agriculture: Increase yield and improve temperature and drought resistance of agricultural crops and mitigate land-use changes and biodiversity loss.
· Northern/Remote Communities: Innovative solutions for self-sufficiency in smaller communities.
· Packaged Solutions: Integrated technology packages that combine one or more clean technologies, such as renewable energy generation, energy storage, and waste and wastewater management.
The SDTC portfolio is currently comprised of 228 clean technology projects, for a total value of $2 billion, of which over $1.4 billion is leveraged primarily from the private-sector.
SDTC will host a series of workshops in the next few weeks to guide prospective applicants through the process, ensuring the best ideas rise to the surface. A schedule of these workshops is available at www.sdtc.ca/workshops.
Potential applicants are encouraged to review the Statement of Interest process and funding requirements at www.sdtc.ca/applications. Questions related to applications can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is an arm’s-length foundation created by the Government of Canada which has received $1.09 billion as part of the Government’s commitment to create a healthy environment and a high quality of life for all Canadians.
SDTC operates two funds aimed at the development and demonstration of innovative technological solutions. The $590 million SD Tech Fund™ supports projects that address climate change, air quality, clean water, and clean soil. The $500 million NextGen Biofuels Fund™ supports the establishment of first-of-kind large demonstration-scale facilities for the production of next-generation renewable fuels.
SDTC operates as a not-for-profit corporation and has been working with the public and private sector including industry, academia, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the financial community and all levels of government to achieve this mandate.